We are open M, T, W, F
and 2:30pm-6pm

Thursday & Saturday 8am-noon

Doctor's hours are by appointment.

To make an appointment, please call

1120 Maricopa Hwy.
Ojai, CA 93023


Prevention is up to you!

You can do a lot in your home and garden to help insure the safety of your beloved pet. Many people think they can simply apply the same guidelines used in child proofing their home; but unfortunately this is not enough. Thousands of pets die each year after ingesting common household poisons including pesticides, plants and even foods. Poisoning can also occur by absorption through the skin, inhalation and ocular (splashed in the eyes).

Take a good look around and poison-proof your environment, and take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the items that can be hazardous to your pet.

Be Prepared!

Despite your best efforts, your pet may still fall victim to poisoning. Be prepared! Keep the following phone numbers where you can find them in an emergency:

Ojai Pet Hospital (805) 646-5555

Pet Emergency Clinic (after hours care) (805) 642-8562

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 4ANI-HELP*
or (900) 680-0000*

*there is a charge for this call

If you bring your pet to us or call the office with a question about a pet ingestion, if the product has an ingredient label, be sure to have that label available.

Do not attempt any therapy on your pet without first contacting either our office, emergency clinic or the ASPCA for guidance. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, it is important not to panic. Rapid response is important, but panicking can interfere with the process of helping your pet.

Learn more about common hazards below


There are some common plants that can pose a poison danger to your pets. They include:

• Azalea
• Caster Bean
• Hyacinth
• Hydrangea
• Japanese Yew
• Easter Lily
• Foxglove
 • Oleander
• Sago Palm
• Lily of the Valley
• Daffodils
• Tulips
• Nightshade

In the vegetable garden, plants to be careful of include:

• Tomatoes, leaves & stems
• Potatoes, leaves & stems
• Rhubarb, leaves
• Onions

Garden Chemicals
Some commonly used garden chemicals can pose a poison danger to your pets. Fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides are all hazardous. Keep pets away from lawns and garden areas treated with these products until they have dried completely.


Products labeled as safe for humans may still pose a threat to animals. Even coffee grounds sprinkled under acid-loving plants can be toxic. Rat/mouse bait, snail bait and ant/roach baits all contain ingredients that your pet may find attractive. Snail bait is sweetened to entice snails and slugs, and may do the same for your cat or dog. Always keep chemicals safely stored away from pets. Use caution with their applications and confine them to areas inaccessible to your pets.

Automotive Products
Antifreeze, gasoline and oil are all extremely dangerous to your pet. Antifreeze is another example of a toxic substance that actually tastes good to our pets. As little as 1 teaspoon of the ethylene glycol from antifreeze can be fatal to a cat and less than 1 tablespoon can be fatal to a 20 pound dog! These products can also present a problem if absorbed through the skin or splashed into the eyes.

Flea Products
As always READ LABELS CAREFULLY. These products can be quite dangerous when used incorrectly. Please consult with Ojai Pet Hospital before using any flea or tick product on a sick, debilitated or pregnant animal. Be aware that cat and dog flea products are NOT necessarily interchangeable. Please consult with us before using any flea or tick product labeled for dogs or cats on any other pet; ie: rabbits, birds, horses, etc. Always use caution with insecticidal sprays and foggers around your pets.

Household Items
Here are some common household hazards to your pets:

• All Cleaning Products
• Mothballs
• Potpourri Oils
• Coffee Grounds
• Bleach
• Liquid Fabric Softener
• Fabric Softener Sheets (even used ones)
• Dishwashing Detergent
• Homemade Play dough
• Batteries

Just because we may think of something as undesirable or trash, doesn’t mean our pets feel the same way. Cleaning agents have a variety of properties. Some may only upset the stomach while others can cause severe burns to the tongue, mouth and stomach.

While not classified as poison, ingestion of many common objects can result in severe intestinal problems that could kill your pet unless caught in time. Below is a partial list:

• String
• Bones
• Dental Floss
• Thread
• Sewing Needles
• Tampons
• Diapers
• Spoiled Food from Trash Cans

Food Hazards
This is one of the least understood categories. It is hard to think of something we may eat everyday as being toxic to our pets, but there are some foods that should be avoided. It is not true that animals “instinctively” know what foods are dangerous or poisonous. Below is a partial list:

• Onions (or onion powder)
• Chocolate (any form)
• Alcoholic Beverages
• Coffee (beans, grounds, espresso)
• Tea (caffeine)
• Yeast Dough
• Salt
• Macadamia Nuts
• Hops
• Cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chew
• Any moldy food
• Avocado -birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, goats

Metals, especially Lead and Zinc can be toxic to pets, and owners need to know common sources that they may not be aware of.

LEAD poisoning – As with people, ingestion of lead paint is a major concern. Some older homes may still have lead paint. However, lead poisoning is not confined to paint. Lead can be found in batteries, linoleum, solder, plumbing supplies, lubricating materials, tar paper , lead window weights, lead pipes (especially in connection with soft water units), fishing sinkers and drapery weights.

ZINC poisoning – This happens most often when pets swallow pennies. Since 1983, pennies have been made with 96% zinc and only 2.5% copper.

Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, anti-depressants, blood pressure medications, stimulant laxatives, antacids, oral contraceptives, antihistamines, vitamins and diet pills are all examples of human medicines that can be fatal to animals. Never give your animal medications not prescribed for them by a veterinarian, including over the counter medications. Just one 200mg ibuprofen tablet could cause stomach ulcers in a small dog; six tablets could cause kidney failure. One extra-strength 500 mg acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be fatal to a cat.

Anti-inflammatory creams containing cortisone and antihistamine creams containing benzocaine can be potentially fatal whether ingested or absorbed through the animals skin.

As with children, medications should be stored safely away from pets, preferably in a locked cabinet. Remember to use caution if you normally carry medications in your purse, pocket or briefcase. Many times we receive phone calls from clients whose pets have eaten their medications after finding them in these places. Be cautious when disposing of old medications as your trash cans may not be pet-proof.

Related Information:

• Lifecare Program
• Immunizations for Dogs
• Immunizations for Cats
• Pet Insurance
• Flea Control & Prevention
• Intestinal Parasites